Between the holidays, the new year and the return of Gasparilla, odds are every South Tampa resident will either be throwing or attending a get-together in the near future. Impress your fellow party-goers with one of these simple, festive recipes created by local party chefs.
CRISPY ARANCINI BALLS WITH PESTO
2 lbs. rice
½ tbsp. olive oil
2 cups chicken stock
2 cloves garlic
1 lb. smoked mozzarella
½ cup butter
1 oz. basil leaves
1 cup Japanese bread crumbs
1 cup milk
½ cup flour
2 lbs. basil leaves
¾ cup parsley
⅓ cup parmesan cheese
¾ cup pine nuts
1 tsp. white pepper
3 cups olive oil
1 tsp. salt
- Put olive oil in a pan.
- Add the risotto rice until it cracks, then add the chopped vegetables and mix it together.
- Add the stock.
- Cook the rice and vegetables until both are al dente, then add the butter.
- Chill the mixture, then add the cheese and herbs. Mix together.
- In your hands, mold the mixture into balls.
- Roll the ball in the flour, dip it in milk, then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Chill the balls until you’re ready to fry them.
- Fry five balls at a time in hot olive oil for 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with pesto and garnish with parmesan cheese.
Wash the basil leaves. Add basil, peanuts, parmesan, olive oil, white pepper and salt to food processor, and blend until the mixture is a paste.
Perfect Thyme Catering & Event Planning
CHIPOTLE SHRIMP TACOS AND STREET CORN
RECIPE (yields 4 tacos)
4 flour tortillas
¼ cup white and yellow corn
⅛ cup red pepper
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. dill, finely chopped
½ fresh lemon
¼ cup heavy cream
3 tbsp. queso fresco
1 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. chipotle seasoning
½ cup purple cabbage, shredded
2 cups shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 tbsp. butter
- Season shrimp with chipotle seasoning.
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in skillet, sauté until completely done, and remove to let rest.
- In separate skillet, warm 1 tbsp. butter, add red pepper first, then yellow and white corn, and lightly season with salt and pepper. Remove from skillet and let cool.
- Next, melt 2 tbsp. butter in skillet, add heavy cream, fresh squeeze of lemon and chopped dill.
- Lastly, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil, add purple shredded cabbage, stir and let cook for 4 to 6 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Once all components are complete, lightly toast tortillas, add shrimp, corn salsa, purple cabbage, lemon and dill sauce, top with queso fresco cheese, sprinkle with chili powder, and garnish with a stem of fresh dill.
GASPARILLA VEGETABLES MEDLEY
2 cups red potatoes, chopped
2 cups baby bella mushrooms
¼ cup red cabbage, chopped
¼ cup red, yellow and orange peppers, chopped
½ yellow squash, sliced
1 cup Brussels sprouts
1 tbsp. ancho chili powder
3 tbsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. dry ranch seasoning
2 tbsp. balsamic glaze
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Edible orchards (garnish)
- In a non-stick skillet, heat sesame oil, then add red potatoes and let cook for 5-7 minutes covered (stirring occasionally).
- Then add remainder of the vegetables, season with ranch and ancho chili powder, and let cook for 4-7 minutes and cover (stirring occasionally).
- Once vegetables are completely done, plate and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
Livy O’s Catering Co.