Presented by Tampa Theatre
With the help of the Vinik Family Foundation, the Tampa Theatre will welcome some of the nation’s most inspiring speakers LIVE on its historic stage next spring in a series of evening events called LIMELIGHT.
This exclusive new series is unlike anything Tampa Theatre has ever produced, bringing speakers from a wide range of cultural pursuits and a broad palette of experiences to Tampa Bay to share their stories and answer questions from the audience.
“We saw a need in our community that we felt like we could fill,” says Tampa Theatre’s Director of Marketing, Jill Witecki. “There are some wonderful speaker’s events in the Bay area, but nothing quite like this: a series of nationally acclaimed thought leaders modeled after similar, successful, long-running speakers series in Sarasota and around the country.”
The 2019 LIMELIGHT lineup includes:
- Lou Holtz (Tuesday, March 12) – Legendary Football Coach and ESPN Analyst (2004-2015); sponsored by the Triad Foundation
- Michio Kaku (Thursday, April 4) – Theoretical Physicist, Professor, Futurist and New York Times Best-Selling Author
- Jenna Hager (Tuesday, April 23) – Best-Selling Author, Contributing Correspondent for NBC’s Today, Chair of UNICEF’s Next Generation, and Editor-at-Large of Southern Living Magazine
- Carl Hiaasen (Tuesday, May 14) – Best-selling novelist, Newbery Honor winner, and Miami Herald columnist; sponsored by Sabal Trust
- Platon (Thursday, June 6) – World-Renowned, Award-Winning Photographer, and Founder of The People’s Portfolio
The name LIMELIGHT was inspired by a bit of theatrical history: In the early 1800s, a development in lighting technology revolutionized the way theatrical stages were lit. Quicklime, burned at a blazing temperature of more than 4500° F and focused through a thick glass lens, bathed any scene in an intense white glow. For the first time, plays could simulate sunlight, and individual performers could be highlighted. This powerful new technology’s name soon became proverbial for fame and public attention.
In another first for Tampa Theatre, LIMELIGHT tickets will only be sold as a subscription for all five speakers. Prices range from $275-$375 for the series, and a limited number of “platinum” subscriptions are also available, which include cocktail receptions before each speaker.
“I know that everyone who reads the list of speakers picks out a couple they really want to see, and some others that they might not recognize or think they’ll enjoy,” Witecki says. “That’s part of the beauty of a subscription: The best-known speakers are sure to offer engaging and provocative evenings, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the lesser-known names make the most profound impact. It is our hope that our patrons will welcome the opportunity to hear from a speaker whose views may be new or challenging to them.”
LIMELIGHT is presented by the Vinik Family Foundation. Support for the series is provided by the Triad Foundation; Sabal Trust; the DeBartolo Family Foundation; Film Tampa Bay; Harris, Hunt & Derr, P.A.; Oxford Exchange; Visit Tampa Bay; and CBK Catering & Events. Media consideration is provided by WEDU-PBS and the Tampa Bay Business Journal.