This art gallery focuses on modern, contemporary art pieces created by artists both local and international. On February 22, CASS will open “Make Believe,” an exhibit that explores self-consciousness through the work of seven artists.
Stay tuned to CASS’ website for information on upcoming exhibits and projects at
the gallery and locations around Tampa, like the Channel District and the Epicurean Hotel in SoHo.
2722 S. MacDill Ave.
The South Tampa ﬂoral design studio hosts hands-on workshops to help budding anthophiles learn the ropes of arranging ﬂowers. Coming up, attendees can learn the art of centerpiece design (February 28), European garden arrangements (March 4), and St. Patrick’s Day-themed green and white arrangements (March 13). On March 23, bring your little one to the Davis Islands shop to make mommy-and-me ﬂower crowns.
231 E. Davis Blvd.
Winner of the 2012 AIA Tampa Bay Award of Excellence in Historic Preservation/Renovation, Oxford Exchange has lived a few lives. Built in 1891, the building initially functioned as a horse stable — hence its wide arches on the Kennedy Boulevard side — for the Tampa Bay Hotel across the street. Later, a variety of local shops and businesses moved in and out, eventually making way for Oxford Exchange’s stores, restaurant, coffee shop, and upstairs work spaces. Smith Dalia Architects reused original pieces of wood and brick in the new construction, and uncovered treasures like horseshoes and milk bottles that sat under the structure now hang from its walls.
420 W. Kennedy Blvd.
Carlton Ward Gallery
Recently relocated to one of Hyde Park Village’s buildings along Swann Avenue, this gallery displays Florida native Carlton Ward’s nature photography to view and purchase. Ward is a journalistic conservation photographer; he focuses mainly on Florida but has also shot throughout the American West, Africa and the Caribbean. The gallery also offers framing for purchased photos.
1509 W. Swann Ave.
Michael Murphy Gallery
This ﬁne art gallery helps home- and business-owners ﬁnd and frame pieces to complete their space. The gallery currently displays work from two dozen artists, ranging from local artisans to masters of the craft, and offers framing for pieces sold both in and out of its space. Visit the gallery’s website for a full list of artists and samples of their work.
2701 S. MacDill Ave.
Bayshore Boulevard Art
Art all along Bayshore’s more than four miles of waterfront roadway reﬂect different pieces of Tampa’s culture. Near the Platt Street bridge, “Fish on the Bayshore” by Lorraine Genovar was erected in 1995 in a structure ﬁshermen once used to display their catches. The ﬁve ﬁberglass ﬁsh that hang here — a redﬁsh, barracuda, bull dolphin, tarpon and snook — are all native to Florida. On Bayshore and Rubideaux, the white arch-shaped sculpture is not, contrary to popular belief, called “The Slinky.” The city of Tampa commissioned “Wave” by Mary Ann Unger to resemble a shell opening or a wave breaking. Elsewhere on Bayshore you’ll ﬁnd “Family of Man” by Geoffrey Naylor (Bayshore and Hawthorne), a stainless steel piece that depicts a man, woman and child, and “Visual Welcome” by Yaacov Agam, made up of 10 colorfully painted panels that look different depending on the viewer’s position (see both on this feature’s opening page).
Bayshore between Gandy Boulevard and Platt Street
Hyde Park Village
The entertainment district has enlisted some big-name artists over the last ﬁve years to turn its walls into some of Tampa’s most Instagrammable backdrops. Along Swann Avenue, muralist BASK created the now iconic “Thank You Tampa Bay,” designed to look like a plastic takeout bag. The interlocking green and purple HP mural, “Hyde Park,” is by Chad “Chizzy” Mize. The MC Escher-like piece is between Buddy Brew Coffee and Bartaco. Additionally, BASK and Tes One have put their stamp on the village’s loading docks with murals and large-scale portraits.
804 S. Village Circle
Bryan Glazer Family Community JCC
Formerly Fort Homer W. Hesterly Armory (where one Elvis Presley performed multiple shows in 1955), the landmark on the National Register of Historic Places was renovated and reopened as the JCC in 2016. Though architecture ﬁrm FleischmanGarcia had to respect the building’s existing structure, their award-winning design did add the sweeping new Jeff and Penny Vinik Grand Entry, as well as a replica of the internally lit steel vase that originally stood on top of the armory.
522 N. Howard Ave.