This year is setting up to be a travel one to remember. And, with so many grand global events still to come–from the Paris 2024 Summer Olympics to April’s total solar eclipse happening across much of North America–it’s just going to get better from here on out.
You can fly nonstop from Orlando to Dubai on Emirates, making it easier than ever to reach this magical desert metropolis that’s ideal for launching onward to the Maldives and Seychelles too.
- The Stay: Bed down above it all at the Burj Al Arab | Jumeirah and make time for a Hatta mountain safari into the Hajar Mountains.
One of the Caribbean’s most exclusive escapes, secluded Anguilla is a celebrity favorite thanks to pristine beaches, world-class culinary offerings and next-level resort offerings.
- The Stay: Cap Juluca, a Belmond Hotel, Anguilla’s new spa by Guerlain is just one decadent draw at this exquisite, wellness-oriented property with Moorish architecture.
The Midwest’s second largest city is also its most underrated, with a gorgeous riverfront setting, vibey arts districts and fab food halls, like Budd Dairy Food Hall, to explore.
- The Stay: Columbus’ primo luxury boutique hotel is The Junto, with the city’s most scenic rooftop bar and a gear locker with loaner Go-Pros, skateboards and more.
Called the Hawaii of Japan, the country’s fifth largest island is a tropical wonderland and a Blue Zone, a region where people have a longer life expectancy, to boot. Come for healthy living, to snorkel pristine coral reefs and hike to your heart’s content.
- The Stay: Sleep to the sounds of the surf in an oceanfront villa at the minimalist yet uber-luxe HOSHINOYA Okinawa.
There’s no sleep for Paris this summer as the 2024 Summer Olympics take over the capital and elsewhere in France in July and August. Come to support Team USA as well as for all the usual delights of the City of Light.
- The Stay: You’ll never go wrong at the Ritz Paris, which celebrated its 125th anniversary last year. The five-star Le Grand Mazarin is opening just in time for the revelry in Le Marais quartier.
Lake Maggiore, Switzerland
Consider passing on packed Mediterranean beaches and over-touristy Lake Como in favor of this gorgeous waterway on the south side of the Alps that straddles Switzerland and Italy.
- The Stay: Seriously luxurious, Switzerland’s only beach resort awaits at Hotel Eden Roc Ascona, home to a restaurant with two Michelin stars.
San Antonio, Texas
As the largest city in the U.S. along the path of totality for the total solar eclipse on April 8, San Antonio promises to be in serious fiesta mode for this major celestial event.
- The Stay: The posh Hotel Emma, a boutique hotel inside a 19th-century brewery in the delightful Pearl district, is our favorite place to stay.
Finger Lakes, New York
Lake dips, unique wineries known for top-notch Cabernet Francs and Rieslings and small-town Americana vibes make New York’s Finger Lakes a singular delight, particularly during the warmer months of the year.
- The Stay: With individual lakefront homes and a historic home on site, Inns of Aurora has the region’s best spa complete with steam rooms, saunas and outdoor hot and cold baths.
Ecuador (Photo featured at the top)
Ecuador’s biodiversity is staggering, with 16% of the entire planet’s bird species, 8% of all mammal species and jungles, the Galapagos Islands and Andes Mountains to explore.
- The Stay: The ultimate luxury eco stay awaits at Mashpi Lodge, outside Quito, with room for just 47 guests and an open-air gondola you can ride above the forest canopy.
Madeira Archipelago, Portugal
A quick hop from Lisbon, Portugal’s Madeira Archipelago lies off the coast of Morocco and beckons with mountain vineyards, coastal hikes and perhaps the best seafood of your life.
- The Stay: Rent a villa and stay among the vines with Atlantic Ocean views at Terrabona.