‘Tis the season to be festive. Social gatherings have returned in nearly full force around Tampa, and you may be taking a turn at entertaining this holiday season. Dress your home to impress with these tips from local decorating expert Sarah Steele, a design consultant for Ethan Allen Tampa with over two decades of experience.
Holiday decor for entertaining can be easy with some simple additions.
• The right amount of sparkle can make any room more festive. Metallic accents, such as a metal tray, or crystal or mercury glass can give a polished look.
• Update your dining chairs with festive fabrics on new slip seats. These can be easily switched out at the beginning and end of your holidays to provide a warm, festive look.
• Try doing a more monochromatic winter-wonderland look with whites and silvers.
• Swap out your pillows on your sofa for something more festive and add a luxurious throw to create a cozy look. Just because it’s Florida, doesn’t mean we can’t create the illusion of winter.
• Feeling adventurous? One of this year’s holiday trends is bright colors, such as jewel tones and neons. Experiment with these bold colors on your trees, mantles and tablescapes.
Here are some tips for getting your home decorated and ready for holiday entertaining.
• Update the accents throughout (pillows, vases, bowls, florals).
• Add some glitz.
• Consider painting an accent wall in your dining room a deep red or hunter green for the season.
Doors and tablescapes can be updated with beautiful wreaths and florals.
• Think abundance.
• Go for a eucalyptus or olive leaf wreath instead of the traditional pine and
• Add gorgeous, full bows to provide extra depth and volume. Tablescapes can have one
large center floral or several repeating florals.
• For more color and sparkle, add glass ornaments to clear vases or hurricane shades.
Fireplace decor is always “more is more” around the holidays.
• Hang the stockings, but also add greenery to the mantle and beautiful accents throughout. • Ornaments can be sprinkled throughout the greenery.
• Candlesticks of varying heights always add visual interest.